About HKTDC | Media Room | Contact HKTDC | Wish List Wish List () | My HKTDC |
Save As PDF Email this page Print this page
Qzone

Consistently stylish(HKTDC Watch & Clock, Vol 04,2003)

Vol 4, 2003




HK Enterprise Internet

Company Profile

Consistently stylish
Pengelly Co Ltd

Development by design
Lautan Watch Co

Consistently stylish

Pengelly Co Ltd

Pocalla classic quartz analogue watches are one of three stylish house brands produced by Pengelly Co Ltd

Prompt delivery and product consistency are key advantages of Hong Kong watchmaker Pengelly Co Ltd, claims director Alex Chow.

These core strengths are backed by excellent quality assurance, after sales service and technical support; resulting in innovative timepieces focused on design, functionality and durability.

Pengelly's wide range includes Pocalla brand classic quartz analogue models that are mostly made of the finest stainless steel and / or titanium cases and bands, as well as trendy Poma brand items that look more like fashion accessories than ordinary wristwatches.

"We do not forget children's needs either," adds Chow, noting that Pengelly has a separate line of children's Calla brand watches.

The watchmaker sources leather from Italy, Australia and the US, and watch movements from Japan and Switzerland. Stainless steel and titanium are mainly from Japan, brass is obtained from Australia and other essential watch parts and components are sourced in Hong Kong and on the Chinese mainland.

The 22-year-old firm's 10,000-square-foot mainland production facility in Shekou employs approximately 100 workers, backed by 30-40 workers in Hong Kong. Export markets include Europe, South Africa, South America, Australia and the Middle East.

"We can see obvious export growth in Eastern Europe, India and the Chinese mainland because their economies have been growing rapidly in the past few years," Chow predicts.

However, Pengelly also realises that market conditions are getting tougher with many well-established watch manufacturers relocating to the mainland, where the network of watch suppliers is maturing.

As a result, Pengelly is focusing on producing mid- to high-end quartz analogue watches under its own brands, believing that flexibility gives it an edge over indigenous mainland manufacturers.

Chow stresses that it is important to keep pricing at a competitive level at all times. "The ability to maintain trust and confidence with customers is also crucial," he maintains.

He believes the key to Pengelly's success is working with customers as partners, and this approach has helped the company maintain steady growth.

"We develop our brands for some customers who do not have their own brands or do not meet general OEM requirements and are happy to use our brands," Chow explains.

At present, around 80% of the company's total production is OEM-based, with the remaining 20% consisting of minor customisation for clients as well as Pengelly's own three brands.

"We also offer tailor-made services to help our customers actualise their design concepts and advertise extensively in various media to promote our new products to as wide an audience as possible," Chow concludes.

WRITTEN BY MARGARET CHAN

Pengelly Co Ltd

11/F, Luen Wai Commercial Bldg,
93-97 Des Voeux Rd West, Hong Kong
Tel: 852-2547-8033
Fax: 852-2858-3373
Email: pengelly@pocalla.com.hk
Web: www.pocalla.com.hk

bullet9.jpg (1215 bytes) Hong Kong Buyers Request Form bullet9.jpg (1215 bytes) Overseas Buyers Request Form bullet9.jpg (1215 bytes) More Publications