5 Aug 2015
New Labelling Regulation for Textiles and Textile Products sold in Central American Countries
The Secretariat for Central American Economic Integration (SIECA) has announced the approval by the Council of Ministers of Economy and Trade of Central America (COMIECO) of the Central American Technical Regulation – RTCA 59.01.08:12 for the Labelling Requirements of Textiles and Textile Products. This mandatory standard will become effective on 23 July 2015 in the member countries: Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica and Panama.
The Central American standard RTCA 59.01.08:12 is based closely on the Mexican standard NOM-004-SCFI-1994 and includes the following articles:
- Garments, sport jerseys and uniforms, hosiery and socks
- Accessories such as handkerchiefs, scarves and ties
- Home textiles: blankets, sheets, comforters, tablecloths, placemats, napkins, protectors, rugs, covers for furniture, ironing boards and home appliances, curtains, towels, protective gloves for household use, pillows
- Piece goods: cut fabrics, rolls, yarns and threads
- Shoe laces
- Textile elastic articles
- Lacework, trimming up to 30cm width
- Rolls of lace, any length
The standard does not cover the following articles:
- Electric blankets
- Disposable diapers
- Wallets, purses, luggage, handbags and similar products made of leather
- Custom made or custom cut textiles and textile products
- Textiles and textile products must bear one or more permanent label(s) with the mandatory information.
- The mandatory information must be written in Spanish. For imported articles labeled in a different language, a supplementary label in Spanish containing the mandatory information must be affixed before the product is offered for sale to consumers.
- For sets or packs containing 2 or more textile products, each of the contained articles must be labeled individually to meet the labeling requirements.
- If the product is sold in closed packaging that does not allow the consumer to see the label, the mandatory information must be applied on such packaging.
- When by design or nature, textile articles made of the same material are sold in pairs (e.g. gloves, socks), only one of the pieces is required to bear the label(s) with the mandatory information.
- If fixing a label directly on articles of certain size and shape can damage them or affect their use, esthetics or perceived-value, then the labeling may be applied on the packaging, tag or wrapping (e.g. pantyhose, stocking, socks, ties, handkerchiefs, scarves, sewing/knitting threads, etc.)
- Fiber content
- Size or dimensions
- Care instructions
- Country of origin
- Name of manufacturer, distributor or importer (based in the region)
- Special performance claims and any other information are optional
SGS Global Softlines has an extensive network of over 40 laboratories worldwide, with a strong team of committed professionals from multi-disciplinary backgrounds. Our internationally accredited state-of-the-art testing laboratories offer a comprehensive range of physical, chemical and functional testing services for components, materials and finished products. We help your company ensure quality, performance and compliance with international, industrial and regulatory standards worldwide. Discover more at www.sgs.com/en/Consumer-Goods-Retail/Softlines-and-Accessories.aspx.