About HKTDC | Media Room | Contact HKTDC | Wish List Wish List () | My HKTDC |
Save As PDF Print this page
Qzone

Catering To Changing Markets(HKTDC Jewellery, Vol 01,2003)

Vol.1 2003





Company Profiles

Catering To Changing Markets
San Wai Gems & Jewellery Fty Co Ltd

A Shining Example
Yan Wa Jewellery Co

Catering To Changing Markets

San Wai Gems & Jewellery Fty Co Ltd

San Wai Gems & Jewellery Fty Co Ltd places great emphasis on the design and craftsmanship of its wide variety of semiprecious jewellery items, including bracelets, necklaces and custom-made products

San Wai Gems & Jewellery Fty Co Ltd knows that successful companies adopt global marketing practices, meet the ever-changing demands of an international customer base and plan for continued expansion to maximise growth potential.

San Wai adopted this progressive business philosophy some 20 years ago when the company was first established and acknowledges it is the key to its continuing success.

"We believe that our approach to business is the secret to our success over the past 20 years," says San Wai Gems manager Stephen Hui. "Our company has expanded rapidly in recent years and will continue to do so in order to maximise our exposure in a very competitive global marketplace."

With company headquarters in Hong Kong, a branch office located in Francisco and factory premises located in Guangzhou on the Chinese mainland, Sun Wai Gems has a total staff of 500.

The majority of San Wai's staff is based at the company's factory premises producing an extensive catalogue of semiprecious jewellery primarily for Japanese and European markets. Total annual production output exceeds one million pieces of semiprecious jewellery items.

Producing a wide variety of semiprecious jewellery items, including bracelets, necklaces and tailor-made products, San Wai places great emphasis on the design and craftsmanship of its many products.

"We have also actively embraced new technologies in order to maximise our position in the marketplace," continues Hui. "The launch of our company website allows customers around the world to view our products at anytime and then place an order directly with us via email."

The continual development of new products is also seen as imperative in today's competitive international market, with the result that San Wai is now launching jewellery incorporating new varieties of semiprecious stones as well as targeting the higher end of the market.

"In the past we have used many different kinds of semiprecious stones - however 70% of these were cheaper stones," says Hui. "Today we are aiming for a ratio of 50/50, increasing the high quality stone component in our range."

Similarly San Wai is focusing on new markets. "Previously European markets accounted for 90% of our output, with the remaining 10% spread across Japan, the US and Hong Kong. Today that has changed, with both European and US markets now accounting for 30% each, while the Japanese and Hong Kong markets make up only 10% each."

San Wai Gems adds "one or two" new products to its catalogue range every month and is gradually introducing new stone varieties into its designs, including jade and rubies.

"Later this year we will open a new office and showroom in New York, employing five people, to further maximise our exposure to new markets," says Hui.

"New York is the main gem market in the world, so our premises will go a long way towards further promoting San Wai Gems as well as the Hong Kong industry."

WRITTEN BY SUZANNE DENNIS

San Wai Gems & Jewellery Fty Co Ltd

Unit Q, 1/F, Phase 3, Kaiser Estate,
9-11A Hok Yuen St, Hung Hom,
Kowloon, Hong Kong
Tel: 852-2764-5655
Fax: 852-2764-6179
Email: info@swgems.com
Web: www.swgems.com

bullet9.jpg (1215 bytes) Advertising Enquiry bullet9.jpg (1215 bytes) Hong Kong Buyers Request Form bullet9.jpg (1215 bytes) Overseas Buyers Request Form bullet9.jpg (1215 bytes) More Publications