17 June 2014
US FTC Amends Regulations for Fur Product Labeling Act
On 7 May, 2014, the U.S. Federal Trade Commission (FTC) issued a final rule to amend its Regulations under the Fur Products Labeling Act (Fur Act)1. The final rule updates the Fur Products Name Guide, incorporates provisions of the 2010 Truth in Fur Labeling Act (TFLA), and harmonizes the regulations’ guaranty provisions with those in the Textile Labeling Rules. The amendment will become effective on 19 November, 2014.
Background: The Fur Act prohibits misbranding and false advertising of fur products and requires labeling of most fur products. The Rules include detailed labeling specifications regarding the font and label size. The required labels must disclose the animal’s name as provided in the Name Guide, indicate whether there is any bleached, dyed, or artificially colored fur, what parts of the animal the fur came from (e.g. paws, tails, bellies, flanks, etc.), the name or Registered Identification Number of the manufacturer and the country of origin of the fur.
The Commission recently adopted the following changes:
- eliminate the requirement that the label disclose whether fur consists of “sides” or “flanks”
- amend the Rules to provide businesses with more flexibility for label specifications regarding label size, text, and description of use for items sold in pairs or groups
- update the Fur Products Name Guide by retaining “Asiatic Raccoon” in the Name Guide for labeling fur products from the species nyctereutes procyonoides, updating references to species and correcting typographical errors
- incorporate provisions of the Truth in Fur Labeling Act of 2010
- clarify that the Fur Act does not prohibit electronically transmitted guaranties and align the Fur Act’s guaranty provisions to those governing textile products
SGS Global Softlines has an extensive network of over 40 laboratories worldwide, with a strong team of committed professionals from multi-disciplinary backgrounds. Our internationally accredited state-of-the-art testing laboratories offer a comprehensive range of physical, chemical and functional testing services for components, materials and finished products. We help your company ensure quality, performance and compliance with international, industrial and regulatory standards worldwide. Discover more at www.sgs.com/en/Consumer-Goods-Retail/Softlines-and-Accessories.