3 Dec 2015
Indonesia Mandates SNI Testing and Certification for Food Contact Melamine Products
On 30 September 2015, the Ministry of Industry of Indonesia published Regulation No. 77/M-IND/PER/9/2015 mandating the use of SNI 7322:2008 ‘Melamine Products – Eating and Drinking Equipment’ for food contact melamine materials and articles under HS Code 3924.10.00.10.
The new law also has a number of requirements, including:
This can be self-declaration of implementation of Quality Management System (QMS) ISO 9001:2008 or its revision, or certification of QMS ISO 9001:2008 or its revision issued by the Quality Management System Certification Body (LSSMM) that has been accredited by KAN or an accreditation body having a signed Multilateral Recognition Arrangement (MRA) with KAN.
The following information on raw materials used in the polymerisation (condensation) process in the manufacture of food contact melamine products is required:
- MF for melamine with formaldehyde
- UF for urea with formaldehyde
- FF for phenolic resins with formaldehyde
- RF for a combination of melamine, urea and phenolic resins with formaldehyde
This can be conducted by a domestic or an overseas laboratory with the following conditions:
- The domestic laboratory is accredited by the National Accreditation Body of Indonesia (Komite Akreditasi Nasional, KAN) with SNI 7322:2008 as the scope and must be designated by the Minister
- The overseas laboratory is accredited and has a Mutual Recognition Agreement (MRA) with KAN such as the International Laboratory Accreditation Cooperation (ILAC) or the Asia Pacific Laboratory Accreditation Cooperation (APLAC) and must be appointed by the Minister
Manufacturers and importers are required to apply for Product Certificate of SNI-Marking (Sertifikat Produk Penggunaan Tanda SNI, SPPT-SNI) from a Certification Body (LsPro) that has been accredited by KAN and must be appointed by the Minister. The issuance of SPPT-SNI is via Certification System 5 and consists of 2 requirements:
- Compliance with testing against SNI 7322:2008
- Production audit of QMS ISO 9001:2008 or its revision
The LSPro issuing the SPPT-SNI must contain the following information:
- Contact details of company
- Manufacturer’s address
- Name of person in charge
- Name and address of the authorised representative for the importer
- SNI number and title
- Types of melamine resins
Manufacturing and importing activities
Manufacturers and importers of food contact melamine products are obliged to submit a written report on their activities to the Directorate General of Industrial Development (Ministry of Industry) every 6 months. The report includes:
- ID of manufacturer or importer
- Type of food contact melamine products and quantity
- Country of Origin (CoC) for imported products
- Address of storage warehouse for imported products
- Proof of compliance to SNI 7322:2008
The new law took effect on the day of publication; 30 September 2015. Highlights of the new law are summarised in the following table.
Throughout our global network of laboratories, we are able to provide a range of services, including analytical testing and consultancy for food contact melamine products for Indonesia and international markets. Please do not hesitate to contact us for further information.